Monday, October 1, 2012

Les Miserables: The Movie. Coming this Christmas!

I cannot wait. Les Miserables is being made into a movie. Again.  But this time, it looks incredible.

Take a look at the trailer:



It's breathtaking. If you've seen this show live, you know how powerful and emotional of a show it is. This film looks like it has the potential to do almost the same.

It's hard to imagine that a film could be as strong as a live production, but the director used a different method than used with most musical films. The cast recorded their vocals live on set while filming, instead of pre-recording their vocals in a studio months in advance and then dubbing it in.

By allowing them to sing while filming, the actors are singing IN character, IN the scene and WITH the other cast members, which makes it feel so much more realistic. In essence, it is how they do it in a stage production.

Take a look at the Extended First Look below, which explains this method and includes both film footage and interviews with the cast members.  It is a fantastic four minutes and thirty-three seconds.



How amazing does this look? And Anne Hathaway is incredible. I had no idea. I heard her sing at the Oscars once and I know she's a good actress, but WOW is all I can say.  That shot of her shaking and crying as she sings is so powerful.

I've never heard Russell Crowe sing - wonder how he'll be? Notice, he seems to be the only one not seen singing in the trailer! Someone that I know has a friend who was his vocal coach for this! That's less than six degrees of separation for him, right?

So, what do you think of the cast?

4 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to see this film
    Thanks for sharing the info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks incredible, doesn't it! Happy to share - thanks for stopping by! Hope you found some info you like!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That post is the reason I've been blog-hopping this morning. OMG!!! I have loved Les Mis for... well, decades! There is nothing like seeing it live, but WOW. I can't wait to see this movie. Leaving my husband with the kids so that I can sob freely! Who knew Hugh Jackman could sing like that?! Unsure of the casting of Crowe; I hate to see big-headed stars cast just for a name at the detriment of the film, but I'll give him a chance. I am so excited!! Thanks for this excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! Hugh Jackman's been on Broadway, so he definitely Good idea to see sans kids given the inevitable tears that will come (from us adults!!). Hopefully Russell Crowe does a good job! My favorite song is A Little Fall of Rain with Eponine singing.

      Come back and visit again!

      Delete