Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Toddler meal idea: a smorgasboard.

I've been trying to come up with new meal ideas for Buddy and on Monday, I remembered something I had pinned to my "good ideas" Pinterest board a few months back.

Toddler Buffet
The creator called it a "toddler buffet".  The idea - quite simple and quite fun.

1. Search your kitchen for a variety of healthy, fun and colorful foods

2. Fill each tray with the different food items 
     -make sure everything is bite sized!
     -if you can't think of (or don't have 18 different items, feel free to repeat!

 3. Present delightful meal to your child!

So, I thought I'd give it a try.  I named mine the "Smorgasboard".  Take a look:

My Smorgasboard
And here's a list of the items I included (I repeated some items a few times, as I could not come up with 18 bite sized items that are toddler friendly).

1. goldfish crackers
2. raspberries
3. blackberries
4. Joes O's from Trader Joe's
5. cheddar cheese
6. peas
7. tomatoes

Buddy liked it (see pic below)!

Buddy with his Smorgasboard
It was fun for both of us - a bit of a scavenger hunt for me to find food to fill the tray and fun for Buddy. 

(But I must be honest; he only ate three of the items - the raspberries, blackberries and tomatoes. But he's eaten and likes all of the items in there. Maybe he was just in the mood for fruit (tomato is technically a fruit I believe).

I definitely recommend this as a great option when you're out of options! Or just looking for a fun meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment